Yes, chickens can eat dry cat food. However, it is important to check the type of dry cat food before feeding it to them.
Make sure it is a treat that is once in a while.
Chickens are domesticated birds that have been bred by humans for thousands of years to produce eggs and meat.
Chickens are omnivores and can eat a variety of foods depending on their diet.
While chickens can eat dry cat food, it is not recommended to feed them this type of food all the time because it does not provide them with all the nutrients that they need to thrive.
What are people saying about their chickens and dry cat food?
This topic is controversial, so there are mixed opinions about this topic. In general, chicken keepers agree that giving dry cat food to chickens is not harmful.
Here are a few statements from Chicken Keepers around the world:
- I don’t see why not as it would be a good source of protein, but if it’s cheap cat food look out for unnecessary sugar or hfcs that they don’t really need.
- I have been feeding my chickens kitten food for 3 years now (I use Purina ONE) and their feather strength has improved an extreme amount. If you feed sunflower seeds, kitten food, scratch, Calf Manna, and your regular chicken food, you have one healthy bird.
- We give ours dry cat food soaked in water to soften while the hens are molting for some extra protein.
- I just tossed some kitty kibbles to my hens a while ago. It isn’t their main diet, but a “snack” whenever I remember to do it. The high protein content is good for egg-laying.
- I don’t like to give mine cat food just because of some of the ingredients in it. I do give them a few dairy scraps from the household, black oil sunflower seeds and the gamebird crumbles that I keep around for my quail to increase the protein.
- For years I had to hide the cat food, because the hens would chase the cats off their food. I still occasionally give my new chickens a little catfood. I would agree that a steady diet of it is not a great idea. But a little as an occasional treat shouldn’t be a problem.
As you can read, most of the time people are feeding cat food to chickens.
Let us know in the comment below what is your opinion on this topic.