Incubator temperature and humidity

Home Forums Incubating & Hatching Eggs Incubator temperature and humidity

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    missyb
    Participant

I just started incubation yesterday for 12 fertile eggs. I am using a still air Little Giant incubator. Right now it is set at 38 degrees celcuus (100.4 F). The instructions say to set it for 99.5 F. But I have read several articles stating that the old Styrofoam incubators like I am using are not calibrated well, and that a still air incubator should be at around 101 F. I have had trouble getting this to stabilize, so I am hoping a 100.4 I have had trouble getting this to stabilize, so I am hoping a 100.4F will due. Also, my husband had said the utility room would be the best place for the incubator, but I think he was wrong. I cannot run my dryer on any heat settings, because it raises the temperature of the room intern raising the temperature of incubator Also, my husband had said the utility room would be the best place for the incubator, but I think he was wrong. I cannot run my dryer on any heat settings, because it raises the temperature of the room intern raising the temperature of incubator. The fluctuations I am afraid to try to monkey with her to set it any higher than the 100.4 The fluctuations I am afraid to try to monkey with her to set it any higher than the 100.4F. I have ordered an extra thermometer with a built-in hygrometer I have ordered an extra thermometer with a built-in hygrometer that is supposed to get here Friday. Am I overthinking this? Am I to think it can’t be that difficult, because chickens just sit on these eggs and then they hatch. I am terrified I’m gonna do something wrong and they won’t hatch.

Barbu d’Uccle
    Keymaster

You are good to go.
    Don’t overthink a lot. I hope everything goes well. Write here after the incubation period ends.

missyb
    Participant

In adjusting it (it is a dial…not digital..old!). I found myself checking every ten minutes for HOURS. It did exceed a 40 degrees Celsius reading on the top thermometer. The lower thermometer read 100. I did panic! I opened the incubator, and allowed the eggs to cool it took them 5 minutes or less to cool. I have kept a very close eye on the eggs. I am using an old styrofoam Little Giant still air with an automatic egg turner. It has been very difficult to keep it from fluctuating. Sometimes it goes for hours on end it will hold a constant, and then it will suddenly drop or increase. I did candle yesterday (2.5 days) and the eggs (I only candled 3) were not translucent. I could see a dark mass in each. No veining as it is too early. If I have a successful hatch of any if the eggs I plan to purchase my own incubator. The one I am using is borrowed. I will not purchase a Little Giant. I have been very stressed out due to all the varying reviews of this incubator, and how inaccurate the readings can be.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.