We at the typesofchicken.com team give our best to present to you some new ideas and stuff to add to your chicken coop. Until now we have given you a variety of articles with instructions about how to make toys for your chickens, waterer and such. Many of our readers have complained that they have problems with feces getting in their chicken feeder because their feeder is on the ground in the coop. This gave us, the typesofchicken.com team to give you an article about how to make your own automatic chicken feeder that removes that problem and is cheap and easy to make.
1. You will need 2 pieces of pipe (drainage pipe or PVC pipe – totally up to you because I think it does not affect the quality of the feeder), 1 ninety degree angle connector for the pipes and 2 caps for the pipes. The pipes should be wider that 3 inches pipes.
2. The dimensions of the pipes depend on the size of your coop and how many chickens you have. Once you are finished reading this article you will understand why the size of the pipes is so dependable on those things.
3. One of the pipes will be used inside of the chicken coop and you will need to cut off a part of it big enough so all your chickens can peck at it (big enough for their heads to get in and not get stuck). It will stay in a horizontal position in that way that the bigger part of it and the one with the previously made hole will be inside the chicken coop and placed high enough so your chickens can feed through it. The cut part should be on top.
4. The second pipe will be positioned vertically and connected with the first pipe with the ninety degree angle connector. It should not go higher than your shoulders because it will be used so you can pour food through it.
5. Before you put the first and previously cut pipe in your coop make sure that it is closed with a cap inside the coop. When the first pipe is in, connect it with the second pipe using the ninety degree angle connector. You can balance the pipes using some string or pieces of wood depends on how your chicken coop is build and what materials have been used to build it.
6. Open the cap of the vertically positioned pipe, pour the food and it will go straight to your chickens in your coop. This contraption is very useful because you don’t have to disturb your chickens while giving them food or make a mess out of your shoes or pants during that process. You just go out, open the cap, pour the food and then close the cap. It is important that you close the cap so the food will stay fresh.
We at the typesofchicken.com team are making sure that our readers get the best and cheapest ideas for their chickens, if you have any DIY project or a way to improve this particular contraption make sure you contact us through the comment section or via e-mail.